Saturday, July 23, 2011

Swheat!

I came up with this recipe one day while trying to use up my wheat. This is honestly the best wheat bread, or rolls! I was always very optomistic about previous ventures with whole wheat and there have been a few tries that were ok especially within the first 24 hours after baking, but then the next day dry as Texas? It was my goal to get wheat bread that would rivel Subways and I'm here to say mission accomplished!


1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tbs yeast
1 Tbs sugar
Mix and let sit for 10 min till it gets nice and foamy

add 3 cups whole wheat flour and knead in mixer to create a sponge.
Cover and let sponge rise till doubled.


In microwave safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup butter;
add 1/2 cup milk to the butter to cool it (don't add hot butter to the sponge, it will kill the yeast)
Add 1/2 cup honey to the butter and milk mixture and then pour over sponge.


Add two more cups wheat flour, and one cup white (ok, ok, its not quite whole wheat, you can do all three cups whole wheat but I think the white gives it good texture)
Add 1 1/2 tsp salt and knead in mixer for 10 min.


Cover and let rise till double. Punch down and pull off palm size chunks and shape into rolls by pulling all sides into center. Place on a greased sheet pan,(don't make fun of my pan, I love that thing, it's been through the war haha)









Let Rise till doubled.
Bake at 350 for 18 min and get your HoneyButter ready!


It makes about 22 rolls, or 3 french bread loaves, or two regular loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment